Several years ago I stood in line on a cold New York City night to be amongst the crushing human wave that gathers to watch the ball drop in Times Square. It was one of those things not quite deserving of a “bucket list” but just above my “to do” list of average fame. Am I glad I did it? Now that it is over: yes.
So what does that random act of freezing craziness have to do with an inbound marketing and mobile app development agency blog?
Only as we close out 2012, there are as many 2013 prediction posts out there as there were people at Times Square back then. So….I’m adding my list of predictions for 2013 to the fray!
- Big data becomes a household name. Apps and web services and social networks are collecting data at an unprecedented rate. This is spanning companies to help us all make sense of it, make it useful and yes, monetize it all. Remember when the “cloud” was just a buzz word? Yes, “big data” is destined to join the dinner table vernacular soon.
- Somebody figures out Klout and makes it work. There are a lot of Klout, Kred, PeerIndex and other social reach/influence measurements that get laughed at. But, someone in 2013 is going to take [insert your favorite here] and apply it in a way that brands AND individuals rally behind. This breakthrough is important because it will spawn an entirely new marketing person (you). See next prediction….
- More debate (but few real leaders) on the silo’d roles of PR, Communications and Marketing as segments of marketing begin to stretch across more parts of the enterprise. Content, digital, social, mobile, word of mouth, reputation, traditional and here’s a new one….influencer marketing all have strong footholds in territory once claimed by Public Relations and Communications teams. No longer. As Seth Godin once more eloquently phrased it, “we are all marketers.”
- Social Media marketing becomes about recruiting and retaining brand influencers. Promoted posts are so….2012. Get yourself a promotion expert, or better yet, an influence marketer! Yes, you too can be a marketer and we’ll assign you a title to make it feel official: Influence marketer.
- Niche social networks dig deeper and get richer. Facebook has become Wal-Mart like with providing everything to everyone to the point that it’s a joke to get what you really want versus what Facebook wants you to have. That leaves lots of room, not for competitors in the traditional sense, but for networks that give specific groups and communities exactly what they come to social networking for in the first place. NOTE: Instagram and Pinterest are two very current, and relevant examples. FURTHER NOTE: I’m selfishly interested in seeing this one come true soon for the sake of Golf Joust!
- “Smart” phones just become phones. Over 75% and possibly as many as 90% of US mobile phone users will be on what we referred to as smart phones back when there was a difference.
- TV makes a comeback but only because of tablets and smartphones. Call it “Social TV”, 2nd screen, interactive TV, whatever….someone is going to create a killer side-by-side experience and everyone jumps on board.
- HTML becomes the 2nd language of the United States of America. Forget the Spanish debate. Ditch pig latin. Spanglesh is just a movie. In recognition of the growing need for coders and our dependence upon software, html is added as an elective at schools across the country. Let’s hope there are enough Microsoft and other industry professionals ready to volunteer to teach it all!
So what are your thoughts about the direction of our digital world in the months to come? We’d love to hear them here in the comments or on our Facebook page.
Happy Holidays from Don and the Verge Pipe Media team!
Author: Don Crow is Founder & CEO at Verge Pipe Media. Verge Pipe Media
assists public institutions, enterprises and the non-profit sector with Imaginative
Inbound Marketing strategies + campaigns. We also have a development team
chock full of Marvelous Mobile Migrators, poised to help transition our clients into a
mobile + social world with custom software, iOS and Android mobile apps.
Latest posts by Don (see all)
- What Vertigo Taught Me About My Business – March 14, 2014
- Automated Customer Service | Be Careful What You Wish For – December 30, 2013
- Tech Christmas Wish List: What to buy Don Crow – December 11, 2013